The Statement of Shaykh Hazim Salih Abu Isma‘il commenting on Field Marshall Tantawi’s Speech
The decisive issue for Tahrir Square right now is disarmament. We stand before a bloc of the country that does not want any more dead or wounded. They want the parliamentary and presidential elections to be held on time.
The demand is the following:
- That committees be formed to oversee the Ministry of Interior (so that peace doesn’t remain in the hands of those who killed our sons), and that further committees be formed to oversee the media and legislation nullifying the political and military rulings, as well as doing away with the state of emergency
The minimum demand, immediately and without delay, is that a new government not be formed unless it adheres to the following points:
1) Regarding the Ministry of Interior: a supreme committee comprised of national, judicial figures that we (the people) choose, name by name, must be formed to administer it
2) Regarding the Ministry of Media: the same thing as the Ministry of Interior is demanded.
3) The formation of a committee along the same lines as those mentioned above, which must approve any legislation the Military Council passes, as well as issue a constitutional declaration accompanying any legislation.
4) An unequivocal end to the Emergency Law.
5) The formation of a committee along the same lines as those mentioned above (i.e., we must approve the members name by name) to be in charge of doing away with the legal cases of political prisoners whose verdicts have already been decided, whether before 25 January 2011, or after that date. The committee will review the cases and release the prisoners, whether civilian or military.
The names of those who comprise these committees must be displayed before the people prior to their publication to prevent the legislation, the police, and the media from remaining in the hands of those who carried out the atrocities of the recent period – not for one more day. This is a serious matter on which we cannot compromise…This is a serious matter on which we cannot compromise… This is a serious matter on which we cannot compromise.
To the Military Council: it is now up to you to save the nation before morning by answering these demands and setting a date for presidential elections – with a decision and not mere talk… It is up to you to investigate who undertook all this killing, and don’t send us the discord of the referendum and the discord of the presidential council.
Acquired 25 November 2011
Translated by Brian Torro
Translation reviewed by Emily Drumsta